WHO WE ARE
BDI, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization located in San Diego, California, focuses on addressing the social, emotional, and psychological barriers to living a long and healthy life with diabetes. To better understand and overcome these obstacles, BDI is actively engaged in research examining the psychological aspects of diabetes and evaluating innovative behavioral interventions. In addition, BDI directly offers an array of unique, behaviorally-oriented products and services for: people with type 1 diabetes; people with type 2 diabetes; parents of children and teens with diabetes; spouses and partners of people with diabetes; and interested health care professionals. Products and services include print materials; online courses and modules, face-to-face workshops and seminars, professional training programs, and an online library of resources.
We invite you to explore the resources available to you from BDI. We also welcome your suggestions for additional resources that might be added to our web site. Thank you!
Beyond Type 1 will be hosting a Facebook Live conversation with Dr. Polonsky, starting at 4 pm PT.
November 6, 2019
Dr. Polonsky will be the presenting “I Know What I’m Supposed To Do, So Why I Can’t I Do It?” (See Flyer) at the Diabetes and Wellness Community Event, in Des Moines, IA.
November 13, 2019
Dr. Polonsky will be the keynote speaker at the Iowa Diabetes And Wellness Summit.
November 14, 2019
Dr. Polonsky will be presenting at “Surviving the Holidays with Diabetes,” the TCOYD San Diego Spotlight Series program
November 20, 2019
BDI’s Case Consultation Group for Mental Health Professionals meets at BDI Headquarters in San Diego, CA. at 10:00 am.
December 4, 2019
Welcome to BDI’s November update!
It’s officially Fall in San Diego and we are getting a few last minute activities in before the winter holidays.
- November 2: BDI was at the first-ever TCOYD (Taking Control of Your Diabetes) event in Charlotte (NC), with Dr. Polonsky presenting to both healthcare professionals and to people with diabetes.
- November 6: Beyond Type 1 will be hosting a Facebook Live conversation with Dr. Polonsky, starting at 4 pm PT. We’ll be chatting about mental health and diabetes, and more. Please join us if you can!
- November 13: Dr. Polonsky will be the presenting at the Diabetes and Wellness Community Event, in Des Moines (IA), speaking on “I Know What I’m Supposed To Do, So Why Can’t I Do It?” See attached flyer.
- November 14: Still in Des Moines, Dr. Polonsky will be the keynote speaker at the Iowa Diabetes And Wellness Summit. Speaking to healthcare professionals, he will present “Engaging the Disengaged: Strategies to Promote Behavior Change in Diabetes.”
- November 20. Dr. Polonsky will also be presenting at “Surviving the Holidays with Diabetes,” the TCOYD San Diego Spotlight Series program. This be a fun night and we hope to see many of our old (and new) friends there!
- Two new publications:
- First, BDI staff as well as colleagues at Scripps Health and Xeris Pharmaceuticals have just completed a study that examines how the spouses/partners of adults with type 1 diabetes cope with their worries about hypoglycemia. As a result of this study, “Hypoglycemic Confidence in the Partners of Adults with Type 1 Diabetes, we now have a new assessment tool for measuring and understanding these problems. Thanks to all who participated, and thanks to Xeris for their sponsorship. See it here.
- Second, in collaboration with Dr. Jack Lahey and colleagues, Dr. Polonsky was proud to serve as a co-author on a new report from the Endocrine Society, “Optimizing Postprandial Glucose Management in Adults With Insulin-Requiring Diabetes: Report and Recommendations.”
- December 4: BDI will again host our monthly case consultation group for mental health professionals here in southern California. If you might like to join us and/or would like further information, please contact us at email@example.com.