WHO WE ARE
BDI, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization located in San Diego, California, focuses on addressing the social, emotional, and psychological barriers to living a long and healthy life with diabetes. To better understand and overcome these obstacles, BDI is actively engaged in research examining the psychological aspects of diabetes and evaluating innovative behavioral interventions. In addition, BDI directly offers an array of unique, behaviorally-oriented products and services for: people with type 1 diabetes; people with type 2 diabetes; parents of children and teens with diabetes; spouses and partners of people with diabetes; and interested health care professionals. Products and services include print materials; online courses and modules, face-to-face workshops and seminars, professional training programs, and an online library of resources.
We invite you to explore the resources available to you from BDI. We also welcome your suggestions for additional resources that might be added to our web site. Thank you!
The Taking Control of Your Diabetes’ (TCOYD) virtual Conference for health care professionals: “Making the Connection Between Patients and Providers”.
September 12, 2020
BDI will host our next case consultation meeting (for mental health professionals working in the field of diabetes). Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are in the greater San Diego area and would like further information about this program and about our future meetings.
September 14, 2020
The 12th annual Rising Stars Educational Program, from the International Diabetes Center in Minneapolis, is virtual this year.
September 19, 26, 27, 2020
September 29, 2020
Taking Control of Your Diabetes (TCOYD) fourth annual ONE event (virtual).
October 3, 2020
Welcome to BDI’s September update!
We are on the move:
- We are excited to announce that BDI is moving to fancy new digs on September 15. It is just a few blocks away from our current offices, and it is a beautiful new spot that will offer all of the same BDI services, and hopefully more. The new address is: 5230 Carroll Canyon Rd, Suite #208, San Diego, CA 92121. Thanks to Dr. Guzman (BDI, Director, Clinical Education) and Ms. DeFazio (BDI Office Manager) who have been working hard to make all this happen.
- September 6: Dr. Polonsky, BDI’s President, spoke (virtually, of course) at the Fifth Annual DAYDEIC (Diabetes Educator’s Internal Conference) on “Towards More Successful Diabetes Self-Management: Brief Motivational Strategies for the Busy Healthcare Professional”. This was primarily an event for healthcare professionals in India, but it featured a variety of speakers from around the world.
- September 12: The Taking Control of Your Diabetes’ (TCOYD) virtual Conference for health care professionals: “Making the Connection Between Patients and Providers”. This is an online interactive experience that is open to all healthcare professionals everywhere. It will feature a variety of awesome diabetes healthcare professionals, including our own Dr. Polonsky as one of the featured speakers.
- September 14: BDI will host our next, San Diego-wide, case consultation meeting (for mental health professionals working in the field of diabetes). Contact us at email@example.com if you are in the greater San Diego area and would like further information about this program and about our future meetings.
- September 26: The 12th annual Rising Stars Educational Program, from the International Diabetes Center in Minneapolis, is virtual this year. The 2020 three-day program (September 19, 26 and 27) is entitled “Precision Diabetes Medicine: Leveraging New Technologies and Therapies”. Dr. Polonsky will be speaking on the second day of the program (September 26) on “Diabetes Distress: Psychological Aspects of Diabetes Technology”.
- September 29: Dr. Polonsky will be one of the featured speakers at the Fresno/Tulare 2020 Virtual Diabetes Symposium, presenting one of his favorite topics, “Engaging the Disengaged: Strategies for Promoting Behavior Change in Diabetes”.
- October 3. Taking Control of Your Diabetes (TCOYD) will be hosting their fourth annual ONE event, all for people with type 1 diabetes and their loved ones. The first three were live events all here in San Diego, but this one will be virtual. So you’re invited no matter where you are! Dr. Polonsky (BDI President) will be presenting there, and we will hope to connect with many of you then.
New video, new podcast:
- In this new video, Dr. Polonsky speaks with Endocrine Today, hosted by one of our favorite people, Susan Weiner (a nationally renowned clinical diabetes care and educational specialist), about how to make diabetes education more worthwhile for people with diabetes.
- Medicine Matters: Diabetes has recently launched a new podcast series for healthcare professionals, “Why Psychosocial Care Matters, which features Dr. Polonsky this month speaking on “Diabetes Distress”. Access the entire podcast series here.
- Dr. Polonsky was proud to serve as a co-author on “Improvement in Patient-Reported Outcomes in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes Treated with Sotagliflozin Plus Insulin vs. Insulin Alone,” just published in Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics. There are pluses and minuses to this new medication, but this study demonstrates that there may be significant psychological benefits (e.g., reductions in diabetes distress) when it is used properly.